By Diane M. Mackie, David L. Hamilton
This quantity provides a set of chapters exploring the interface of cognitive and affective methods in stereotyping. Stereotypes and prejudice have lengthy been subject matters of curiosity in social psychology, yet early literature and examine during this region all in favour of impact by myself, whereas later reviews centred totally on cognitive components linked to info processing thoughts. This quantity integrates the jobs of either impact and cognition with reference to the formation, illustration, and amendment of stereotypes and the consequences of those procedures for the escalation or amelioration of intergroup tensions.
* Reviewed improvement, upkeep, and alter of stereotypes and prejudice
* interplay of affective and cognitive approaches as antecendents of stereotyping and prejudice
* have an effect on and cognitive results of crew categorization, preception, and interaction
* The interplay of cognitive and affective tactics in social perception
* Award profitable bankruptcy "The Esses et al", was once the 1992 winner of the Otto Klineberg award given by means of the Society for the mental learn of Social concerns, which pointed out the bankruptcy as having provided, "a tremendous enhance in our knowing of uncomplicated mental methods, underlying racism, stereotyping, and prejudice."
Read or Download Affect, Cognition and Stereotyping. Interactive Processes in Group Perception PDF
Best social psychology & interactions books
All the chapters during this reader is written through prime students within the zone of relationships, reflecting the variety of the sphere and together with either modern and key old papers for accomplished assurance of analysis.
The second one variation of Psychotherapy with Deaf consumers from different Groups features the creation of six new chapters that supplement complete revisions of unique chapters with advances within the box when you consider that its preliminary book. the 1st half starts with a brand new bankruptcy at the present moral matters correct to operating with deaf consumers.
Convey how the ever-changing box of Social Psychology comes in handy in scholars’ daily lives. the combination of program into the most physique chapters is helping scholars see the relationship among concept and genuine global reports. This vintage textual content keeps the hallmark of its personal earlier luck: up to date assurance of the quick evolving subject material written in a full of life demeanour that has been embraced through thousands of scholars world wide.
A synthesis of biology and psychology that examines man's institutional constructions, and the interplay of the person and society.
- The New Public: Professional Communication and the Means of Social Influence
- Unity and Fragmentation in Psychology: The Philosophical and Methodological Roots of the Discipline
- Peer Prejudice and Discrimination: The Origins of Prejudice
- The SAGE Handbook of Social Psychology: Concise Student Edition (Sage Social Psychology Program)
- Gender and the social Meaning of Emotion
- Friction: How Radicalization Happens to Them and Us
Additional resources for Affect, Cognition and Stereotyping. Interactive Processes in Group Perception
Bargh, J. A. (1991). Stereotyping based on individuating information: Trait and global components of sex stereotypes under attention overload. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 27, 26-47. , & Birrell, P. (1978). From individual to group impressions: Availability heuristics in stereotype formation. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 14, 237-255. Sanbonmatsu, D. , & Kardes, F. R. (1988). The effects of physiological arousal on information processing and persuasion. Journal of Consumer Research, 15, 379-385.
Kramer, G. P. (1990b). Affective states and the heuristic use of stereotypes in social judgment. Unpublished manuscript, Michigan State University, East Lansing. Bodenhausen, G. , & Lichtenstein, M. (1987). Social stereotypes and information-processing strategies: The impact of task complexity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 52,871-880. Bodenhausen, G. , & Wyer, R. , Jr. (1985). Effects of stereotypes on decision making and information-processing strategies. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 48, 262-282.
R. Sherer & P. ), Approaches to emotion (pp. 293-317). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. Scherer, K. , & Ekman, P. ). (1984). Approaches to emotion. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. Schwarz, N. (1990). Feelings as information: Informational and motivational functions of affective states. In E. T. Higgins & R. M. ), Handbook of motivation and cognition (Vol. 2, pp. 527-561). New York: Guilford. , & Clore, G. L. (1988). How do I feel about it? The informative function of affective states. In K. Fiedler & J. ), Affect, cognition, and social behavior (pp.
Affect, Cognition and Stereotyping. Interactive Processes in Group Perception by Diane M. Mackie, David L. Hamilton