By A. Brodal, O. Pompeiano
Read or Download Basic Aspects of Central Vestibular Mechanisms PDF
Similar mammals books
Berta and Sumich have succeeded all over again in growing improved marine studying! This publication is a succinct but entire textual content dedicated to the systematics, evolution, morphology, ecology, body structure, and behaviour of marine mammals. the 1st variation, thought of the best textual content within the box, is needed studying for all marine biologists excited about marine mammals.
Anywhere Wombat and Fox pass, difficulty is rarely a long way at the back of. How not easy can or not it's to take a bus to the seashore? What can get it wrong on the sandcastle festival? without doubt crab-hunting is a secure task. Wombat and Fox and all their pals are continually enjoyable as they fumble their approach out and in of strife at the bus, on the seashore, inside of Bandicoot's seashore field, and round the rock swimming pools.
The echidna is without doubt one of the world’s such a lot remarkable creatures. it's a residing fossil whose relations have been strolling the earth over a hundred million years in the past. just like the platypus, it's a mammal that lays eggs. And, like every mammals, it has fur and produces milk. This e-book describes the echidna’s way of life and the variations that experience made it such a success.
The vintage literature on predation dealt virtually solely with solitary predators and their prey. Going again to Lotka-Volterra and optimum foraging concept, the speculation approximately predation, together with predator-prey inhabitants dynamics, was once built for solitary species. a variety of effects of sociality for predators were thought of just recently.
- Echo of the elephants : the story of an elephant family
- Of bison and man: from the annals of a bison yesterday to a refreshing outcome from human involvement with America's most valiant of beasts
- The Tribe of Tiger: Cats and Their Culture
- Bat House Builder's Handbook
- Animal Camouflage: Mechanisms and Function
- Wolves on the Hunt: The Behavior of Wolves Hunting Wild Prey
Extra resources for Basic Aspects of Central Vestibular Mechanisms
2. Drawings of a Golgi-impregnated sagittal section through the vestibular nuclear complex in a 4-day-old kitten to illustrate the main regional differences in cell sizes and dendrite patterns. Note especially the differences in the dorsocaudal (to the right) and the ventrorostral part (to the left) in the lateral vestibular nucleus (L). From Hauglie-Hanssen (1968). quent investigations that the subdivisions made by us (Brodal and Pompeiano, 1957) are supported by the findings made in experimental anatomical as well as physiological studies.
By themselves such differences tell little. It is a likely assumption, however, that regions which differ with regard to the types of cells present, their orientation, density and distribution, differ in other respects as well, morphologically as well as functionally. On every point where it has been possible to test it, this assumption has turned out to be correct. I will mention a few data which illustrate the differences between nuclear groups with reference to Fig. 1. This shows our cytoarchitectonic map of the vestibular nuclear complex in the cat as seen in transverse Nissl stained sections.
We must test this situation in an animal both with unopened labyrinth capsule and References p p . L O W E N S T E I N Fig. 2A, B, Same preparation as in Fig. 1 . It will be seen that the gravitational response follows the positional change in A but hardly in B. Total time, 3 min. The traces 1 and 2: two accelerometers monitoring the tumble in antiphase. Upward deflexion in trace 2: 90"nose-down; downward deflexion 90" nose-up. C , D, Response from the anterior ramus of the eighth nerve in the physiologically intact unanaesthetized bullfrog ( R a m catesbeiana) with implanted tungsten electrode.
Basic Aspects of Central Vestibular Mechanisms by A. Brodal, O. Pompeiano